Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A guided tour

Fes has left me speechless, I've been unable to write about it.
It's such an assault on the senses .. All the senses and some.
It's taken me a few days to assemble my words.
Fes is the oldest, most complete medieval city in the Arab world.
It's like a 1000 year old living theme park.
At the centre is an ancient, mile wide blur of winding cobbled lanes that form a crazy web of colour, smell, spice and craft called Fes el Bali medina.

Today I took a guide with me to explore the medina, this cost about $20.
The best twenty bucks I've spent since arriving in Morocco.
We toured ancient mosques, medersa (Islamic colleges) souks, mausoleums and finally the famous Fes tanneries.
Along the way, a thousand years of Islamic history, politics and culture crammed between the sights.
My questions just kept coming...
He was kind and generous and answered all my questions with grace and honesty: from the different sects of Islam, terrorism, women's dress codes, marriage, mosques, gen-Y muslims (just like our Ys) and life & death.
It was a beautiful education.

2 comments:

  1. that was $20 well spent. dont you wish when you have these amazing experiences that you can have all your friends with you? Its so amazing you want everyone to experience it too. thanks for the blogs tho theyre great.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds brilliant - great pics, looks well cared for X

    ReplyDelete