Saturday, January 8, 2011

Beldi Marrakech

Lunch at the country club

"Oh my God" is a good place to start this post.
The concierge at my riad recommended a relaxing day at the country club, it sounded like a good idea: effectivement a fucking brilliant idea!

A 20 minute ride in a grand taxi, first through the boulevards of Hivernage, then a highway and finally a dusty red earth road delivers me at Beldi country club. Surrounded by a high, mud brick rampart, I enter the resort.
3 shabby rock star types drift by, black sunnies, black jeans and lots of Moroccan jewelry, they could be on their way to a photo shoot but they sit down for lunch.
Some unidentified stick like supermodel and rich BF coo by the pool.
I'm so glad I wore my good shoes today.
Groves of orange trees and flowering rose gardens stretch off into the distance. Behind them the Atlas mountains peer at me with snowy white peaks.
A pair of ancient matching queens sit silently over wine and lunch, their coordinating Ralph Lauren shirts and sweaters (slung over shoulders) give away their story. One is blue and green, the other is green and blue. Heaven.
Flashy Italians arrive to break the tranquility: Her turquoise kaftan with matching Kelly bag (well done)

Its a melange of French chic and boheme Moroccan interior design, open air, swathed in calico and clad in terra-cotta.

After a beautiful lunch I spend the afternoon at the country club's hammam. The hammam will require an entire post all of it's own.

No comments:

Post a Comment